Friday, December 3, 2010

Must Carry in Flight #11,32

I like to carry a spare pair of spark plugs with Copper Slip already on the threads, wrapped in masking tape. A two ended tube spanner & screwdriver as tommy bar, a very small pair of pliers.
An exhaust spring, a roll of tape, cable ties, a short length of locking wire, a puncture repair kit incl the tools  to take off the wheel and a bike pump!!
The real problem is where to carry it. For a long ferry flight I prepared two small  12" X 15" linen pockets one for each side and they have sewn tapes on the top edge to tie to the S4 fabric eyelets and 'test' flew without encumbrance carrying 1 litre oil and basic charts.
I also followed Vince's advice and just about found room to hang a handy funnel plus a filler extension pipe & a small fuel mixing container high up behind the seat, which with my height is on the farthest back and lowest strap setting. Before fitting a second fuel tank I have carried a full 5 litre plastic fuel can tied up back there too.
Just don't let any items carried there or the securing cords hang down anywhere near the aileron control cables and their yoke.

Extra can of fuel ? My S4 hasn't been used a tremendous lot, but has given me considerable fun locally. As it still awaits my fitting the top tank for longer endurance I managed to squeeze a 5 litre 'can' of top up fuel mix behind the seat as well as a travelling funnel & pipe so I could refill her at my destination the other day. That worked so well I'll do it next time I go away as it makes one feel a lot more comfortable on the return when the wind often seems to be more on the nose.
A closed Draw Neck Bag is best for general use, tied to the Rans fabric tie on cords, right under the seat belt top fixing

No comments:

Post a Comment