Friday, December 3, 2010

Spark Plugs, Inverted Rotax engines 447 #13

I use the plugs from Skydrive in my (inverted) 503. Whenever I take them out at least one of them is full of oil but it doesn't affect the starting at all. I generally don't look at them at all for 30/40 hrs but once I take them out I usually put a new set back in. Like your 447, I have the older single points type ignition which the experts tell me makes for easier starting than the newer dual electronic ignition versions.
A tip, when starting one of these Rotax 2-stroke beasties from cold, using the choke, you MUST make sure the throttle is fully closed. Even a 'crack' open and the engine won't start and you'll flood it. It's possible to hear the carb 'click' as the slider bottoms, a good thing to check for during a pre-flight as it will tell you if there's a problem with the cable, etc."

No comments:

Post a Comment