Saturday, December 4, 2010

Low end of speed range flying & Flap #34

Reading the Rans build 'book' and having received advice to try stick free landings in case of engine failure, I had a good go at power off glides and stalls with and without flap and tried slow flight at 30 mph i.a.s. to see if it sinks faster, judged off the v.s.i. , than at say 50 mph.
Generally at height it felt quite reasonable in all these conditions without the need for massive nose down to keep her flying; though I couldn't easily detect the stall as there was no real wing drop or shaking yet the i.a.s. dropped to below 20, which surely can't be true. I imagine it was mushing and or losing height quite quickly but at that time I didn't find time to look at the v.s.i. !
I also did a full flap take-off rather than my now normal 2 stage and it feels significantly better for short field use, though with the awkward flap lever which I operate with my right hand.
The 'book' suggestion of popping the flap down during take off for a shorter run still is cack handed & really doesn't appeal.
What is for certain is below 50 mph one stage of flap improves the handling and reduces drag, because it's mushing slightly less.

No comments:

Post a Comment