Saturday, December 4, 2010

Radio Installation & Battery Power #30

I was given a neat Lead/acid 12v Gel. battery for my a/c installation by a fellow microlighter in the fire alarm business. I understand it gives a decent 'life' between recharging, anyway it was 'free'. It's now strapped to a frame tube down on the L.H.floor & with the radio on a platform made for it and the GPS, between pilot's legs, forwards of the seat and behind the cross fuselage tube, i.e. missing the stick's gambit.
After a quite few visits to the a/c to measure, make & establish a safe place away from control cables & feet, the battery now stands upright and the supply cable neatly follows a convenient frame tube to the Icom I've been loaned. The headset to Icom "Y" adapter I made up from bits, now works, as does the press to TX button mounted in the control column top. I reused the coax & metal aerial on top of fin already in the a/c.
I was able to make my first airborne signal from low circuit height from Jackrell's to Shoreham, who replied they'd rec'd a satisfactory signal. They actually said "strength 5", but surely from 10 miles away they were being kind ! 


After another six years trouble free operation I am very pleased with the remote mounted power supply & Radio Installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment