Friday, December 3, 2010

Ali Spar Tube Replacement & U/C Cracks #19,24

I removed the old spar which involved drilling three stainless/steel rivets. I have had to remove rivets before and it was a pain. So this time I bought a rivet removal tool from 'Light Aero' and it was a breeze! - No slipping drill bits, spinning rivets etc. The gadget fits over the rivet head guiding the drill and stopping the rivet from turning.
The next nerve racking stage is drilling the holes in the new spar

The port undercarriage  had been damaged / repaired in the past and I suspect this next item, its U brackets, weren't properly looked at & were missed. It might be worth other owners checking. Mine had a big crack leading from the bolt hole where it fixes to the fuselage longeron.
It's not unusaul to find these little bolted on Ali U shaped mounting brackets at either
end of the aft u/carriage brace are cracked from the central hole to one edge.





2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for sharing info on that rivet removal tool mate! I'm also working on my aircraft hardware and so far have found some veritable sources around to replace some cracked fasteners. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...this is Unique from Hong Kong, i and my friend making a aircraft project. Wanna ask u where can we order the spar tube...thanks for your time....email: uniqueho@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete